Lunes, Disyembre 30, 2013

5 Lessons I Learned in 2013

Year 2013 is about to end and it's the perfect time to examine how we fared during the year. I know that there are lots of wonderful moments and even hits and misses but at the end of the day (or year :p) what is important is that we learned something from these experiences. Some of you may be able to relate but I do hope that you'll find your own lessons that will help you in your journey towards 2014.

On a side note, I love making resolutions but finally, I've accepted the fact that I wasn't able to successfully accomplish any of those resolutions I swore by every year end! However, I intend to make "doable" plans for the next year. 

So here are my lessons for 2013:

... That you will always have your family, no matter what. I learned to live alone when I was 17. I learned the meaning of freedom from the parentals when I was in college. Whenever I make major decisions, I know that I could decide on my own. However, whatever happens, they will always be there even if we sometimes forget that we have parents whom we can count on and siblings who will listen to your rantings without judgments.

Considering that I will tie the knot very soon... I plan to make more memories with my family.

Take a lot of pictures. Go to church together. Travel. Eat out. Discover the metro. Watch a movie. Say wonderful things about one another. These are simple things that I failed to share with my family during my teenage years because I was always out discovering things on my own. I wish I spent more time with them, sharing my milestones. But it is not too late, I can still make wonderful memories with them and this I plan to do in 2014.


... That it is a lot better to have few friends who are true to you than a thousand ones who will leave you once you are down. As we grow older, we realize that we lose some friends but we do meet new ones who jive with the changes in our perspectives in life. Its true, people come and go in our lives but the true ones... they go with us in this roller coaster we call life. Sa pagpili ng kaibigan, hindi dapat maging batayan ang pagiging "cool". Ang tunay na kaibigan yung tinatanggap ka kahit hindi ka naka-make up o kaya naman kahit wala kang sasakyan o magarang kasuotan. Ang tunay na kaibigan yung tanggap ka kung ano ka pa man, sinasabi sayo ang totoo kahit masaktan ka dahil alam nilang makabubuti ito para sayo.

And when we find our real friends, make sure that we nurture those relationships.

... That you can always do something to help those who are in need. Our country faced unimaginable tragedies this 2013. But 2013 also witnessed the resilience of the Filipino spirit and how each one of us helped our kababayans. With every heartbreaking story is a story of hope, courage and inspiration. May magagawa tayo, may maibibigay tayo kahit simple lang. That should be our mantra for 2014.

... That traveling is good for the soul. For the past 3 years, my work brought me to different places and allowed me to meet new people. I was also fortunate enough to travel with friends and loved ones. 2013 brought me to the amazing lands of Davao City, Bantayan Islands, Sorsogon, Legazpi, Naga, Bataan and Iloilo City. Traveling teaches you about culture, local history and it heals your soul whenever you are tired from city life. Traveling gives you the opportunity to explore,to find experiences that you'll never thought you'll have and sometimes, it lets you find yourself.

I always go for the rule that I should visit a place I've never been to  before AND FOR 2014, I want to experience a new place with my family

... That you only live once, hence, you have to make the most out of it.  Life is a journey. Choose the right moments. Don't choose ANY choice in front of you. Waste your time on worthwhile activities but know that it is okay to commit mistakes. Make people count. Know that it is the experience that matters. And it matters more when shared with a love one. Take care of your health and encourage your family to do the same. Walk in the park, smell the flowers, look at the sky. Take a lot of pictures. Take pictures of the people and places that make you happy. Write love letters especially to your parents. Send letters through postal service. Build lasting relationships. Do small act of kindness everyday. Create your own time capsule. Don't go with flow. Be your own man.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone! :) Hope you find those special moments that will define you and will make you a better person. Cheers!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...